These are preferable to arches where the large column-free area to be covered is circular, elliptical, or approximately an equal-sided polygon. They often have been used for the roofs of exhibition buildings, arenas, coal storage, church glass roof, and conference hall roof. Also, the feasibility of covering large stadiums with domes has been demonstrated. Domes are relatively lightweight, despite long spans, because they can be shaped so that loads induce mainly axial stresses.
Domes may be readily supported on columns, without ties or buttresses, because they can be shaped to produce little or no thrust. For a shallow dome, a tension ring usually is provided around the base to resist thrusts. If desired, however, domes may be extended to grade, thus eliminating the need for walls .
You have a choice of a wide variety of structural systems for domes. In general, dome construction may be categorized as single-layer framing double-layer framing, or space frame, for greater resistance to buckling; and stressed skin, with the roof deck acting integrally with structural framing. Greater stiffness can be obtained by dimpling, pleating, or undulating the surface.
- PACIFIC STAR SPACE FRAME DOME ROOFJanuary 3, 2018This project locates in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia with space frame structure. The diameter is 57.276 meters, height is 9 meters, thickness is 2 meters, and projected area is 2576.5 square meters.view
- HOUSHI POWER PLANTNovember 24, 2017DESCRIPTION of HOUSHI POWER PLANTMany industrial manufacturing operations have large bulk raw materials storage needs. These materials such as coal, limestone, clinker, alumina, coke or other aggregat...view
- NIGERIA STEEL STRUCTURE CHURCH DOME ROOFNovember 24, 2017This is Nigeria church dome roof project with area about 500㎡, the main structure is light steel structure with section aluminum, the roofing is hollow laminated tempered glass. The project location is Lagos, Nigeria.view
- TOGO CONFERENCE HALLNovember 24, 2017PROJECT DETAILS of TOGO CONFERENCE HALLTOGO CONFERENCE HALL DescriptionThe conference hall roof project is located in Lome, Togo, which was finished in 2014. The roof adopts dome spatial structure whi...view
- HUILAI DOME POWER PLANTNovember 24, 2017PROJECT DETAILS of HUILAI DOME POWER PLANTStructure Type: LightApplication: Coal storage Design Standard: GBSpan: 132.6m Height: 68.75mFoundation Height: 16.5m Wind Zone: 60m/sSeismic ac...view